Odesk Corporation - ODesk won't pay

2.0

Got hired through ODesk to write 1000 words on cutting concrete. This is a subject I knew nothing about and I don't know why I was hired to do it, most of my ODesk work is comedic.

Client sent a link to a construction company. Basically, it said "We have lots of locations and expertise and you shouldn't try this stuff on your own." So, I did research elsewhere and wrote my 1000 words and billed the time. Client was furious that I spent 7 hrs, saying "experienced writers don't do research" (?) and demanded his money back (and said I should stop being a writer and just get jobs reading). ODesk TOOK THE MONEY OUT OF MY ACCOUNT and I hadn't been paid so I was in the red.

We are now fighting about this and they have suspended my account. They insist I am to blame because I entered my time manually (never a problem before) and also they object to my language (it is the 1st time in the several years I've been with them that it has become a little salty--I wonder why).

The latest: gee, maybe I could ask the client for a bonus? Yeah, maybe he could send it by flying pig.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

I didn't like: Pay withheld, Support, Employees.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from May 06, 2015.

Odesk Corporation - ODesk stole my money

2.6
Style and Design
Usability

I signed up for oDesk. I got a job and did it.

The other guy paid me. oDesk immediately suspended both of our accounts for "irregularities." We both asked them what they meant by irregularities, but they keep saying that they reviewed our accounts and found irregularities. Now, I cannot receive my money because my account is suspended. The other guy cannot get his money back because his account is suspended.

I searched the web, which I should have done before I signed up with oDesk, and found that this is the normal way that oDesk works. When they get the money, they suspend everyone and keep the money.

I didn't like: Support.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Apr 29, 2015.

Odesk Corporation - Odesk killed my business

Privacy and Data Security

Hi, folks, I suggest people of the same area should gather together regularly to work out ways to fight with odesk. we should be united.

due to dirty games played by some people from inside the odesk , my account was suspended for no reason. basically they are burglars!

ugly company ugly people1

I have been permanently suspended by oDesk! I have been a trustworthy provider, who has relatively extensive working history and very good reputation both among the oDesk community and internationally

However, I was permanently suspended by oDesk!! oDesk suspended my profile, account, job applications, job offers and contracts in order to force me to provide private details including date of birth, photo, address, government issued ID number etc., just to verify my NAME. Odesk simply cut off my livelihood, while I have a family to support.

I feel that this act of oDesk had crossed the line. A provider should also have certain amount of privacy. I asked around, but other buyers and providers did not have to provide with such information! The information they requested from me would endanger me to potential crimes like identity theft, and I am very worried my personal information will be used for illegal purposes. Instead, I suggested to oDesk other means of identity verification like video verification or submitting a credit card, but oDesk simply rejected any goodwill to solve this problem in other ways. I lost all my future income! I have been working hard to build good reputation as a provider, but now I am simply deprived of all my rights to work!

Odesk has also suspended my access to forums, so that they can bury this issue! Because I submitted many tickets to customer support, odesk even blocked me from their customer support! Now odesk permanently suspended me NO MATTER I provide my private details or not.

Some of my clients have contacted odesk in order to testify my reliability, but odesk simply ignored their requests and even compromised one of the buyers’ ID. Coincidentally enough, another new provider emerged, using the same name as mine. This fact and others that I came across may imply that these acts are orchestrated by malicious groups that specialize in ID theft inside of the oDesk community.

Long time ago before this incident, my profile was secretly hidden by oDesk from “providers search”, without any warning or notice. I wasn’t aware of it until someday a buyer told me he could not find me! These mysterious hidings occurred not only once but several times! Another mysterious incident was that many of my job interview invitations from buyers ended up in archives without any notifications sent to me at either oDesk or my email! Both cases were explained and solved by oDesk as “engineering problems” after I complained many times to oDesk. On the day I was suspended, I could still easily find several users who were using obvious fake names or photos from some famous singer or movie star, but they were still happily working at oDesk!

I have heard of a lot of cases where buyers were scammed by providers at odesk, while odesk did nothing to help (http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/beware-c102579.html#c399173). Even several of my friends had very bad experiences at oDesk too! I am an honest and reliable provider and I never scammed anyone, but my account is suspended! This is very unfair!

I filed a complaint at BBB. Since the end of the debate with oDesk at BBB, I have not heard from BBB for more than 20 days, after which I sent BBB specialist Elsie Thomas emails but got no replies. Then I called BBB, but did not get a clear answer for the case until a week later. Before I resorted to BBB, I contacted oDesk CEO, marketing director and press department, by email and phone calls, but was never able to talk to any human!

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Apr 20, 2015.

Odesk Corporation - So many problems with oDesk

A friend recommended oDesk to me about a month ago. I’ve had good experience with Elance, and I wanted to compete for additional projects. I have already experienced the following three problems with oDesk:

1. I created a profile and they immediately flagged my account because my auto-fill had populated my name in upper case. Unfortunately, there was no intuitive way to make the correction using their website. I contacted customer service, and they eventually sent me a solution. I applied the solution, and there was a delay in activating my account. As a result, it took about a week before I was able to use the site. Speaking as a programmer, this never should have happened. When I was filling out the online form, it should have flagged the uppercase entry, posted an error message, and allowed me to make a correction before continuing. Evidently, whoever programmed this site doesn’t know much about web design.

2. I lost out on a bid because the site failed to e-mail me. By the time I noticed the project and submitted a bid, the client replied letting me know that he liked my qualifications better than the candidate he had just selected, but it was too late since the project had already been assigned.

3. I contacted oDesk customer support regarding these issues, and they started bombarding me with e-mail. The first rep was polite and helpful, even though he couldn’t resolve the issue. Unfortunately, after that, they put me in some sort of ***. I have now received e-mail from three other customer service reps, none of whom bother to read my previous replies. I have repeatedly advised them to close the tickets, but they just keep sending me more e-mail. Blocking them would probably mean blocking bid acceptance notifications, so I have to just keep deleting their spam manually. In my opinion, this is no way to run a company.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Apr 05, 2015.

Odesk Corporation - Odesk has a softrodigy is fake company

Softprodigy is a fake company. It charges client for experienced resources and place junior of trainee resources for billing. I worked in this organisation. Its cheating with client and lost trust of client in outsorcing.

Most of its accounts are fake and does wong billing. Odesk should stop its portfolio and should ask for proof of identity for these client and there equcational qualification.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

I didn't like: Softprodigy.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Feb 21, 2015.

Odesk Corporation - Ievgen K, unethical freelancer and Hacker

Ievgen K, from odesk.com: The freelancer hijacked my dedicated server. The first contract he tried helping me, got stuck and was not able to get into WHM, I told him (I thought politely) that I'll find someone else that can fix this problem. He removed me on skype and changed my root password on the dedicated server.

I then messaged him saying I figured out the problem and does he want to continue work. He changed the root password back and I was able to restart cpanel thru ssh which was the problem and it was fixed.

Since this was a simple fix, I knew that freelancer wasn't the right one for this project so I closed the contract and let him know that I didn't appreciate him changing my root password. After a few minutes, I was not able to access my dedicated server anymore.

His profile IDs currently:

Full Name: Ievgen Kolotushkin

He is currently working with EasyIT as a Umbraco Developer. His skype is: TushkinE

Poor morals, poor business practices, very poor skills. I've hired over 20 others in the past 10 years, he's the worst by far.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

I didn't like: Employees.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Jan 08, 2015.

Odesk Corporation - ODesk supports slavery

oDesk supports slavery, they allow publishing of fixed price job for 100 USD per month, 5 hours working per day from Monday to Saturday. screenshot: http://s10.postimg.org/57ya3tga1/odesk2.png

So, if Iran allows selling of kidney for max 5000 USD and user is from Iran, but oDesk is registered in the US, odesk must forbid such business.

It is the same about economic exploitation. Whatever excuses odesk can find, you can see from screenshot that it is typical example of exploitation, published mentioned salary and monthly work 5 hours per day 6 days in a week.

It is not contract for some product, it is monthly salary. One more woman wrote negative experience (race and age discrimination): https://www.change.org/petitions/odesk-corporation-make-the-odesk-marketplace-fair-for-everyone

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Apr 08, 2014.

Odesk Corporation - Payed a deposit for IT work and scammed me out of it

Payed a web developer suresh sahu for some basic work on a website. Talked about how professional he was and the work will be done perfectly and on time and it turns out the guy refuse to communicate with you.

Once you finally get a hold of him he tells you he was busy and will work on it that day and have the work finished by the next day.

He is completely unprofessional and is probably not even a web developer. If come across him or his fake company run for the hill, he has no idea what he is doing.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Feb 02, 2014.

Odesk Corporation - Customer Service is non-existence non-responsive

Odesk sent me an email with the following subject: "Critical Notice about your contractor" and provided a phone number to call them back with questions. The phone system will place one on hold and then after a few minutes of holding, it will ask you to leave a message, Messages and calls are never returned.

Online Chat system ha sno value, since the staff is not qualified or has no idea about the cases, and they would constantly differ the case to the premimum customer care, which will make an appointment with you to contact you but that will never happen either. They charged my card in full and never paid my contractor. Now, I am calling them on a daily basis to get the funds to my contractor and every single day I am being told a different story.

I will not deal with Odesk ever again. They are a waste of time.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Sep 26, 2013.

Odesk Corporation - RIPPED OFF BY ODESK

Update by user Sep 23, 2013

UPDATE:

I was contacted by Robert Fritts, head of Odesk's Trust and Safety team who saw my complaint on here and decided to investigate further after the reps denied my appeal.

After reviewing the hours logged with the screen shots along with what was wrong he agreed in my favor that the contractor was not working on my job. He agreed that there was a lapse in judgement with the Odesk help rep Kristine Magnifica and that it would not happen again. I was refunded the amount plus a bit extra for the inconvenience

I am very happy with the way Odesk handled this situation and I am glad to say I will continue to use Odesk as my main source of contracting freelancers.

Odesk has the highest quality of talent out of all the freelance websites along with the best features for managing contractors. Sometimes you get bad contractors and have bad experiences but that can be found on any freelance website. Be smart on who you hire and make sure they take the Odesk tests to show their competency.

Original review posted by user Aug 20, 2013

I was ripped off by odesk many times in the past but I am now fed up with it. The customer service is run by people who barley understand English and who just do not understand much. I have spent around $50,000 in the last 1.5 years on that website and what a mistake

Before I had a contractor who was new to odesk and decided to give her a try. She ended up scamming me out of hundreds of dollars and I left her 1 star feedback because of it. She then left me relatively poor feedback and closed her account and made a new one with the same exact information. I discovered this new account along with the old one and went to odesk about it. THEY DIDN'T CARE AT ALL AND LET HER CONTINUE TO SCAM PEOPLE. They told me it wasn't against the rules to do that and she was fine.

What recently happened was I had a guy doing SEO for my website. He was working on the hourly system (which is flawed in many ways) and as I was looking at his weekly report of 50 hours I see a major problem. I had him advertising pet supplies and I see he was on the clock doing another contractors work for the entire 50 hours. He was advertising a limo and wedding service which was completely unrelated to my website. He scammed me out of nearly $400 so I asked him about it and he said he would refund me but never did. I made a comaplint to odesk and faught the hours to get my money back. Here is what Kristine Magnifica from the odesk help center told me..

"We did try to check on this case and the work diary for this contract and determined that all time was logged in accordance with the oDesk Payment Guarantee. We do apologize for the inconvenience this has brought you. We would like to advise you that the decision is final. "

You notice they did not even check what work he did but rather he logged time on the clock. They don't care about anything besides keeping their fee. This website is a complete SCAM and you are better off going to elance.com

Also if you get a refund from a contractor odesk will make sure to keep their fee as that is not refundable (10% of what you paid)

P.S.

Odesk has also removed my work diary because I threatened to post it online. They refuse to send it to me so I have proof of the contractor advertising a limo service. After asking them they told me it was a security issue and it was their property and refused to turn it over

Monetary Loss: $20000.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Aug 20, 2013.

Comments

Subiaco, Western Australia, Australia #814102

Odesk customer support is absolutely useless.

EVERY support request I submit is an endless loop of ***, canned responses likely written by illiterate third worlders.